Sunday, May 20, 2007

Healing from the Inside Out


Two years ago, my nephew Brent, was clearing a field on the wildlife preserve that employed him. A small tree fell the wrong way, entered the cab of the tractor and a small limb jabbed into his thigh. Being the good old boy he is, he yanked it out and went on to work. Three weeks later the area was swollen, red, and hot to the touch with great red streaks climbing outward from the center.


With some encouragement from the women in his life, wife, mom, grandmother, and aunt; he went to the doctor and began a regimen of antibiotics. After taking several weeks of various medications it became obvious the wound was not going to heal without some surgery. The surgeon went in and opened the wound and found masses of dead tissue and infection that he removed. Bandaged but left open to heal from the inside out, the wound kept Brent home and in bed. Yet, once again the wound closed on the outside before healing could occur on the inside.


Once again surgery had to occur, but this time a long period of wound care accompanied it. Every day, for two weeks, and then every other day for several more weeks, Brent went in to the wound care center for a painful procedure. First he was given a dose of morphine, the bandage was removed, a topical anesthesia was applied, the top of the wound was bathed in saline and an instrument like a water pick was used to tear the edges of the top of the wound back open. A prod was used to reach deep into the layers of flesh (Brent is a large man with strong thighs so we are talking deep.) to explore the very depth of the wound. Only the furthest tissue in was allowed to close up.


The process was so painful that tears flowed even with the morphine and topical anesthesia. As the nurses came to know Brent, they put the water pick into his hand and let him gauge the slowness or quickness of the procedure. Some days he was there 3 hours taking all the pain he could each minute of the procedure. It took about 3 months of painful prodding and reopening of the wound to finally obtain a clean bill of health.


Those 3 months of Brent's healing are much like the 20 years of my emotional healing. I tried many options each time to find the wound healed outwardly, but left much seething underneath. I attended conferences on inner healing, I read books, I received tons of prayer, I sought God and learned to hear his Spirit's leading. Each and every opportunity brought a measure of healing and the grace to continue the journey, but infection in my life remained hidden beneath the healed places. Finally, with the help of a decrease in hormonal balance and the advent of menopause, everything came exploding to the surface and external healing was no longer an option. It was time to go deep and get the puss from the bottom.

The degree of emotional pain I experienced during those first 3 years of work with Cheryl was indescribable. I don't know how I made it through it. Cheryl, my therapist, often called it courage, but to me it was the only choice I had. I could no longer continue with the deep necrosis inside. I became as a child as I emotionally regressed. I lost all control of my emotions; anxiety and shame consumed me. I was almost completely dependent on my therapist. And, then slowly and methodically, I rebuilt who I was from the bottom up.


Like the nurses who worked with Brent, Cheryl and now John, respected my own time table and the work happening inside of me. They often handed me the tools and stood beside me as I cleaned the wounds. They graciously allowed me the time it took and let me breathe and cry between the painful excursions into the unhealed flesh.


My healing will never be the same as anyone else's. I cannot measure someone else's journey by my own. No one else can measure mine by theirs. When I first entered Cheryl's office in August of 2000, I mentally gave myself a year and half or at the most 2 to finish. After a year, I realized I was still tearing dead stuff out and was nowhere near the bottom. After 2 years I began to panic because of my personally set time limit. When year 3 came, a little shame remained for the time this was taking, but I gladly signed up for my master's degree program in order to continue to see Cheryl. I had learned to trust myself and my gut. By the end of year 5, I was ready to let go of Cheryl and move on - or to at least try.


After a brief respite, I found a new therapist, and with John have tied up loose ends here and there. I have also recently faced the pastoral sexual abuse of my childhood with a new knowledge base and a healthier sense of self.


This time, I plan to stay put until God finishes. Wherever you are in your time of healing from whatever it is you are healing, may you find the grace to be the clay on the wheel and trust the potter's hands.

7 comments:

Balaam's Ass said...

Dearest Di,

I loved Brent’s story. I have actually done the same thing (it’s a guy thing) on a lesser damaging scale. I have learned to be more sensitive to myself over the years. Research supports the factoid in Brent’s story that it is more often women who urge such men to seek treatment. Smart gals.

Then you so wisely and artfully intertwined your own story of hurt and healing. That was done very well.

In the past you expressed an interested in one of our exchanges regarding “thriving.” It seems to me you have adopted the “thrive” approach.

Research into crises management has shown that there are a rainbow of outcomes after a crisis. These can be grouped into some four general groups. The first includes those victims who in various ways turn their face to the wall and die. The second group includes those who learn to cope with their injury in case like Brent’s they may suffer amputation and then they stay stuck at that level. They survive in that “stuckness” but they never make a full recovery.

The third group like Brent seem to have made a full physical recovery and have gotten back to normal. That is the dream for many. For most people it seems optimal, but actually there is the best outcome, the “weller than well” sydrome.

Di, you seem to be in this next group. This is comprised of a variety of outcomes, too, but they are people who are today better off for themselves than if they had never been injured. If Brent is today more sensitive to his own health and overcome that machismo attitude that was as much responsible for his collateral damage as was the tree limb then he too has become a “thriver.”

Now I am seeking to adapt that outcome to the possibility of death and dying. Here goes:

Just now my wife is home, as of yesterday, from a surgery to remove her bladder and other body parts because of cancer. Her pathologist report finally came back that her survival rate at five years is statistically 27%. We see wiggle room and as people of faith and prayer we are looking for life and service to our God, but we also believe that God calls people to serve him and glorify him with their dying. Jesus prayed for release, but accepted his death as God’s will.

Nevertheless we have cancer. It is not the first time. We have elected to bond as team in this regard. We have chosen to face our cancer as an adventure.

As we are moving forward we sense that God has given us a “burning bush call into service.” Moses did not want his call either. But we are called to minister to others even if our situation continues to spiral downward on the physical level. Healing in that way may not come (I am not yet persuaded that she will not be healed) but our call is in spite of any such decline in health.

We are being holistic. We are looking to grow and develop in other ways even while the body will eventually die. When the end comes and it comes for us all, we want to be so close to God that our service and sacrifice will glorify him.

In this way we are planning to thrive even as we eventually lose our life together. Already, we have seen blessings come our way directly related to this crisis. One is that as our darkness has deepened then we can see more starlight. God has granted us clarity in some things we had never been so keenly aware. Together we blog that journey elsewhere.

Thanks for your story, too, it strengthens us to see others making similar gains. Today we all learned from Brent – what he may have never learned himself – from his own story, wow. God bless.

BA

TREY MORGAN said...

Di,

What a long process. No one ever said healing was quick. And sometimes when you heal, scars are left. Those never go away.

You are such a blessed lady to hove a husband, counselor and minister.

Keep healing ... we'll keep praying.

di said...

B.A. You have also found the balance and ability to give even in the midst of your own turmoil - something I find hard to do. I tend to focus on myself and forget the pain of others - at least more than you do.

I am not sure I can add Balaam's Ass's wife to our church prayer list LOL without getting some strange questions..... but I have done stranger things.

Lord, let rest come tonight in their own bed. May strength return quickly. May the sunrise and the flowers in the yard and the smiles on children's faces bring joy.

Knowing my nephew Brent - he learned a lot. He normally does.

Di

di said...

Trey, yes it has been a long period of healing.

Frankly, I should have gotten professional help many years earlier - however, I was afraid of it and did not know there were places to get it where it was affordable.

Scars, huh?

I have realized that total healing may never be mine. I may carry remnants for the rest of my life -and if so - then so be it. I am not required to be perfect - He was perfect for me. :-)

Di

Neva said...

Di,
I commented yesterday but it did not post---is it lost in your spam world?

Peace
Neva

Monalea said...

Di,
I like Neva left you a post and it is floating somewhere in blog land.

Love you,
Monalea

di said...

Neva and Monolea, odd but it must be floating somewhere in never never land.

It never showed up.

I'm going to go post a Bob update.

Di