Monday, October 1, 2007

Letter to the General Minister


I sent an email to the minister hired at the national level in the denomination to do the same job that Reg does at the state level. She is a she! She replied today, and asked if she could forward my email to the national level chair.

It was a nice feel to hear back so quickly and feel appreciated.

I told my basic story and of my desire to help fashion the way a response is made to a report.

Below is the reply I received:

Dear Diane,Thank you for trusting me with your story. I praise God that you have been able to begin a journey toward healing. I think it is time to review our policies with a particular view toward how we walk along side people who have experienced clergy sexual misconduct. I would like, with your permission, to forward your letter (or another one if you prefer) to the chair of the General Ministry. Again thanks - and God bless you.

It especially felt nice to hear from a woman!

Di




4 comments:

Monalea said...

Di,

I have been a silent commenter for several months, but I have been reading your blog and thinking of you.

Monalea

di said...

Monolea, I figured you were still out there and I have prayed for you every time I have missed you. It is very good to hear from you.

Di

Anonymous said...

Di,

I just deleted my attempt to tell you my story. Right now I don't know that I will ever heal. I look ok on the outside but inside I'm bleeding. Your writings though have given me hope. So thank you and God bless you.
A.

di said...

Dear A, in time you will find your voice. Begin by telling yourself that it is ok to be just where you are, thinking about talking but not yet ready. I hear your heart and your pain and your shame and your cry to be heard.

When you are ready to leak just a tad of your story, I would be very very honored to hear that one sentence. Until then, know in a deep way that you are not alone!!! In fact, we have way too much company but the shame keeps us all tied up and silent.

If you would feel safer emailing, leave me your email and I will delete it from the blog and email you.

Di