Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Visit with David Clohessy - January 20, 2007


Today was different. My brain was educated and my heart has much to ponder.


Today I picked up SNAP's (Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests) national president at the airport and chauffeured him around the big city for a press conference. If you are not familiar with David Clohessy you can Google his name and meet him. This is exactly what I did last night when my offer to pick him up and tote him around was accepted.


Whoa! The dude is in Wikepedia! A fact I don't think he was aware of prior to my informing him. David has been on all major networks, and interviewed by most talk show hosts. Major publications, like Time, have carried his articles and when someone news related needs a comment on pastoral misconduct they go to David. His own journey to becoming president of SNAP began at the hands of his own perpetrator.


So, what's he like? Nothing like one would expect such a notorious person to be. He is refreshingly real - and no better with directions than me! We spent quite a while roaming around some interesting sections of Atlanta looking for the lawyer's office. Once found, we were ushered in and I was even asked to help proof the press releases. I was also the official poster maker for the day.


Let's see...... Chauffeur, Editor, Advertising Agent - all in one day. Beats painting the house!


To the heart of things, David has me thinking about the importance of disclosure of the perpetrators name. Is he molesting the next door neighbor's kids? No pressure from David, just a question. One that God and I are going to have to wrestle out. What do you guys in blogger world feel about this?


Having never been a very politically active person - I think I have been heard to say things like I HATE POLITICS! - my cage was rattled a wee bit to be swept up into an announcement of new litigation filed against the ex-minister Earl Paulk. Feel free to Google him too. The list of accusations being handed the man will make you sick. Seems, he thought he was due a harem and he apparently collected and that is just starters as far as the law suit is concerned. Why is this type of behavior not illegal?


As I shared my own story with David, I watched and listened to the new me. That is who I was. Me. No striving for approval. No need for his acceptance. No need to be the constant center of attention. Healed and whole more than I even knew I could be and I didn't even realize how radical was the change until I sat down to write this.


Well, it is late and tomorrow I have to paint the house - or scrape, sand, patch, caulk, and prime it in order to get it ready to paint. I feel for the house....I have been there.


4 comments:

Neva said...

:)
Have "fun" on your house--just think how wonderful it will look when you are finished!

peace
neva

di said...

Yes, Neva I am having a "fun" day painting the house. :-) Some days are more fulfilling than others.

I decided this morning that I just can't wait until I finish the prep of the whole house before painting the part that is prepped. I need the encouragement of the painted part. Then I realized how much that is like emotional healing. God takes us through a season of turmoil and then gives us time to breathe and taste of the accomplishments we have attained.

Want to come visit and help me finish up?

Di

Neva said...

Oh dear friend,
I am not handy with "handy" stuff. I once hotglued a cup to my lip, (dont ask) :)
I always end up wearing more paint than I put on the house.
But I am a great cheerleader---so you go, girl. :)

Peace
neva

di said...

Oh Neva, if you can hot glue a cup to your lip then perhaps you can caulk. I have colored caulk so if you caulked your lip then it would only look like lip stick! Brown or almond - take your pick!

Di