Monday, April 30, 2007

Truth

"You will see the truth and the truth will set you free."
But, it ain't that easy, especially when the truth is about me! You will see the truth .......and cry and hurt and fear and be sad and feel hopeless and run and ........well, you get it. Seeing truth is one of the hardest most challenging issues in our lives. But, if we have the courage to slowly but surely face it, we will find freedom.
One of the most challenging truths I have had to face about myself is the fact that I am not healed and may never be completely whole emotionally. When I entered therapy years ago, I calculated to myself that it would probably take a year and a half of weekly visits to cure what ailed me. Instead I began a road that crumbled into a million pieces, took me through deep sand pits, bumped me along washboard clay, covered me in dust, and often coursed close to the edge of the cliff.
When I struggled to make some reasonable distance in the self-allotted time, the drive was nothing but frustration and a sense of failure. But if I take that same road and view it as one of my favorite drives in the mountains, dust and bumps slow me down so I can see the great views on the sides of the cliffs. Life is no longer about arriving but about the journey.
Freedom isn't in finishing the journey, but in the acceptance of one's limitations.

1 comment:

Monalea said...

Di,
My heart hears your heart.
Love you,
Monalea