Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mirror Mirror on the Wall Who is the Best Pastor of them All


Well, a few of you pastors out there that read my posts may disagree, but today Tom gets my vote.

I must be the most insecure parishoner that exists. I always expect the worst.

I called yesterday just to touch base before he went out of town again and he offered to meet with me today even when I didn't ask. He just came back from out of town and is leaving again and he made time to spend with me - gave me an hour of his time. And then he offered to make a spot for me to come by on the 1st. Seems he wants to hear all about my time with Reg. I'm not just a number, he cares.

Without my asking Tom immediately voiced his support of my endeavor with Reg and helped me organize my agenda into 4 or 5 points to discuss with him on the 31st. He gave me a good idea of what Reg is like and what to expect. I could go ahead with my meeting without it but I wanted Tom's support and I have it 100%, as well as his opinions, thoughts, words, and smile.

So what is the point of this rambling about what a great guy Tom is? Power. Power is the point. Tom has a role in life as my pastor. With that role comes power he does not ask for, and I, honestly, would rather not give away. Yet, the power differential exists simply because the relationship exists, and as long as the relationship remains, so will the power differential.

Power.

Power to heal. Power to build up. Power to encourage.

Power, neither good nor bad, is what we choose to make it.

No comments: